Basic information about the registration of a trademark in the territory of the Republic of Uzbekistan
Why do we need a trademark?
First of all, a trademark provides entitles the right-holder to protect it from unfair competition. The trademark owner possesses exclusive right for usage of the trademark, which makes the right-holder confident in further brand financing without any risks.
Trademarks can be registered in visual, verbal, volumetric form and other designations thereof in any color combination. The Law of the Republic of Uzbekistan "On Trademarks, Service Marks and Appellations of Origin of Goods" (hereinafter - the Law) regulates legal relations in the field of legal protection and use of trademarks on the territory of the Republic of Uzbekistan.
The purpose of the search is to identify identical and similar trademarks, previously registered designations, the rights to which belong to other persons. The trademark registration procedure is carried out for a long period, i.e. 7-8 months from the date of filing the application. Conducting a search will allow to obtain preliminary information about the risks that the applicant must familiarize himself with before filing an application for trademark registration.
General rules of trademark registration:
- A trademark can be registered in the name of a legal entity or an individual.
- Non-residents of the Republic of Uzbekistan shall file trademark applications through patent attorneys registered in Uzbekistan
- Trademarks similar to other designations cannot be registered. The list of designations that are not registered as a trademark is given in accordance with paragraph 1 of the first part of Article 10 of the Law.
- The formal examination of the trademark registration application is carried out within thirty days from the date of its submission to the authorized body.
- Substantive examination is carried out within 7 (seven), but not earlier than six months from the date of filing the application.
- There is also the possibility of accelerated trademark registration within 1 (one) month for an additional fee.
- The results of the state examination can be appealed within 3 (three) months from the date of the decision.
The validity period of registered trademark in Uzbekistan is 10 years from the date of filing the application. This period can be repeatedly extended at the request of the applicant for an additional fee.